Our Footprint 2015

People use Facebook to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them. As more people share on our platform, we continue to engineer hyper-efficient data centers and increase our use of clean and renewable energy to power them. The sustainability advances we’ve realized extend beyond our own four walls, as we share what we’ve learned and work with others to keep innovating. Every year, we share data on our energy use, our carbon footprint, and our water use. Let’s look at how we did in 2015.


How big is your footprint?

In 2004, one million people were using Facebook. By the end of 2015, there were 1.59 billion people using Facebook every month. Despite this growth, and the expansion of our other apps and services, Facebook’s carbon impact per person has remained about the same. Divided across the people we serve, here’s how Facebook’s annual carbon emissions compare with other common daily activities.

en-2015-compare-8


We’re engineering a smaller carbon footprint across our family of apps and services by making our infrastructure more efficient and by sourcing clean and renewable energy.

In 2015, Facebook’s total carbon footprint was 649,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (MT CO2e)

Offices and other business activity account for 37% of our carbon footprint. The other 63% is from our data centers. Managing our data center carbon intensity is a key priority. Read on to see how we’re addressing it.

Carbon footprint detail—data center operations

  • en-2014-co2-10


NOTE: We’ve rounded the numbers in this report. The 2015 carbon impact stated in this report is based on the apps and services running wholly on our infrastructure—including Facebook, Messenger, Groups, and Instagram—as of December 31, 2015.


Carbon footprint detail—other business activity 

  • en-2014-oba-10


The Greenhouse Gas Protocol perspective

Another way to break down our carbon footprint is through World Resources Institute’s Greenhouse Gas Protocol. This framework includes three scopes for reporting greenhouse gases (or CO2e*).

*CO2e includes carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions plus equivalent CO2 resulting from other greenhouse gas emissions. See WRI’s case study on how Facebook calculates the carbon impact of its energy use.


Our energy mix

We’re working to increase our use of clean and renewable energy (CaRE) sources to 100%.


On the road to 100% clean and renewable energy

In 2015, we exceeded our goal of sourcing 25% CaRE. We’re now working to achieve 50% CaRE in our data center mix by 2018.

When Facebook started out, we rented space in shared data centers called co-location facilities where we had little control over design, operational efficiency, or energy sourcing. In 2009, we started designing and building our own data centers. In 2011, we opened the first of our own data centers in Prineville, Oregon, designed for world-class efficiency.

Access to clean and renewable energy is a key criterion for where we locate our data centers. We work with energy developers and utilities to help add more renewable sources of electricity to regional grids. Clean and renewable energy supplies 100% of the energy required by our newest data centers in Luleå, Sweden, and Altoona, Iowa. Similarly, wind power will provide 100% of the electricity for our next two, currently under construction in Fort Worth, Texas, and Clonee, Ireland.

Tracking our energy and water impact

We’re proud that our fleet-wide PUE is 1.09, which is far more efficient than the industry standard of 1.50. This, coupled with our efficient servers, means our infrastructure is approximately 40% more efficient than what’s typical in the industry. Facebook was the first to report on data center WUE in 2012 because we feel tracking water usage is just as important as tracking energy use.

Tracking efficiency is key to improving it

To more effectively share our energy and water efficiency, we created our PUE and WUE dashboards, which show real-time PUE and WUE at the data centers we own. We shared the code for our dashboards to help others track their data center efficiencies too.
View our live dashboards:
Prineville, OR
Forest City, NC
Luleå, Sweden
Altoona, IA

Building the most energy efficient data centers on Earth and helping others do the same

In 2015, Facebook’s total energy use was 1,310,000,000 kilowatt hours (kWh)

Data centers account for 94% of our total electricity consumption. Our world-class energy efficiency is made possible by ongoing innovations in the design and operation of our data centers, and our focus on efficient code. We openly share the technology we’ve built and the processes we use with the world.

Energy use detail—data center operations

 


We design our data centers to use about half the water a typical data center uses

A single person’s use of our services for an entire year requires just under 18 ounces (half a liter) of water.

In 2015, Facebook used 221,000,000 gallons of water

Office space and other business activity account for 30% of our water usage. The other 70% is from our data centers. Most data centers use a significant amount of water as part of their cooling systems. For the server halls of the data centers we own, we found a better way: using fresh air pulled in from outside and, when needed, efficient water evaporation technology. Any excess warm air gets recycled or sent back outside.


Water use detail—data center operations 

1% finished

Here at Facebook, we live by this mantra: 1% finished. In other words, we’re just getting started. We know that if the planet isn’t healthy in the years to come, we won’t be either. We’re committed to designing efficient infrastructure and moving to 100% clean and renewable energy sources. We’ll continue to share what we’ve learned so others can leverage it for their own operations, and help build market demand.

Want to know more?

Download a PDF of our 2015 carbon, energy and water data.

Check out Open Compute Project, the world’s first open hardware movement, launched in 2011.

See the efficiency dashboards that provide real-time data for each of our data centers.

Check out the Corporate Renewable Energy Buyers’ Principles, a set of guidelines published by a coalition of NGOs and companies working to grow the renewable energy market.

Check out the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance, a coalition of non-profits and businesses working together to make it easier for any company to buy renewable energy.

Read the Greenpeace 2015 Clicking Clean Report to see how Facebook compares to other tech companies on energy use and carbon output.

See World Resources Institute’s case study on Facebook.

Through the facebook.com/green page, we share regular updates about our sustainability work