We believe sustainability is about more than operating responsibly. It is an opportunity to support the communities we are a part of and have a
positive impact on the world.
We are scaling our positive impact by tracking metrics that matter. We prioritize areas where Meta can have the biggest impact on both our own operations and on the communities around us. Download our latest Sustainability Report to learn more.
Leading the way on climate change
We are in the business of building better realities—and not just virtual ones.
We envision a just and equitable transition to a zero-carbon economy, and we are working with others to scale inclusive solutions that help create a healthier planet for all, ensuring that no one is left behind.
We will not realize this vision on our own. We see our role as protecting people and the planet through responsible operations—minimizing our energy, emissions and water impact, while protecting workers and the environment in our supply chain.
At the same time, we collaborate with community members, climate action leaders and scientists to innovate beyond what is possible today. We are leveraging our core products and services to enable access to climate science information and to accelerate action-oriented resources for tomorrow.
The possibilities our technology will unlock for people only matter if we have a safe and thriving planet.MARK ZUCKERBErG
Founder, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Our strategy is anchored by three components—how we operate, what we create and how we collaborate—and aligned with the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) to help drive change across the many communities in which we operate.
How we operate
We are committed to protecting what is truly important: the well-being of people and our planet.
- Take bold climate action by minimizing our footprint, championing renewable energy, restoring water resources, engaging our suppliers and supporting climate justice
- Respect human, labor and civil rights in our operations and supply chain
- Cultivate diversity and inclusion in our operations
- Boost energy and water efficiency in our data centers
What we create
We push the boundaries of what is possible, creating solutions where none existed and building products that enable change.
- Provide access to new ideas, accurate information and ways to take action via content on our platforms
- Amplify content from scientists and climate action leaders
- Design new products with diverse needs and values in mind
- Elevate small businesses and spur economic growth
- Integrate circular practices in our facilities and hardware
How we collaborate
We tackle important issues by creating partnerships and joining established initiatives.
- Engage experts to guide our sustainability and social impact initiatives
- Connect researchers with insights
- Join forces with NGOs and community organizations to create and implement locally beneficial environmental initiatives
- Work with local power utilities to enable our facilities and local businesses to procure renewable energy
- Share our environmental learnings and practices throughout the tech industry and beyond
We focus our time, energy and resources in key areas where we can make the greatest impact.
Responsible Supply Chain
We work to ensure safe, healthy and fair working conditions in our supply chain.
In 2020, Meta achieved net zero greenhouse gas emissions for our global operations and today, we are supported by 100 percent renewable energy. These are good first steps, but we have so, so much work still to do to become a fully sustainable company.February 2, 2023
Addressing climate change requires a whole-of-society approach, and the communities people belong to have an important role to play. Hundreds of thousands of Facebook Groups already use our products to discuss and take action on climate change, and we’re excited to work with partners to test new tools to empower any community on Facebook toNovember 4, 2022
Putting ‘Emissions First’: Meta Leads New Joint Approach to Electricity Greenhouse Gas Accounting to Accelerate Climate Action
Meta is increasingly focused on maximizing emissions reductions across the electricity system, which means we need new tools and accounting frameworks to better understand the emissions impacts of our facilities and the projects we support.December 13, 2022