Climate change is a challenge too great for any of us to solve alone. By coming together, we have the power to make sustainable change.
At Meta, we collaborate with organizations focused on many aspects of sustainability and climate action. These partnerships help us advance our goals of achieving net zero emissions across our value chain and becoming water positive in 2030. They also allow us to amplify voices creating the change our planet needs. Today, we continue to seek opportunities to share what we have learned with the tech industry and beyond.
We partner with more than 90 independent, third-party fact-checking organizations that identify, review and take action on the content on our platforms.
For claims rated false by our partners, we:
- reduce the distribution of these posts in Feed on Facebook or on Feed and Stories on Instagram so fewer people see them
- show warning labels with more context for people who do see them
- may revoke the ability to advertise or monetize for accounts that post misinformation repeatedly
The Open Compute Project (OCP)
The Open Compute Project (OCP) is a collaborative community focused on redesigning hardware technology to efficiently support the growing demands on compute infrastructure.
Sustainability and circularity were identified as 2021 strategic initiatives for OCP. We helped lead the scoping and definition of the strategic initiative, helping co-author the community’s first white paper dedicated to a call-to-action on climate change.
Advancing industry change
Climate action policy is critical to achieving a sustainable economy and protecting our planet.
In 2022 we:
- Helped launch the Asian Clean Energy Coalition to advance renewable energy procurement in Asia with the World Resources Institute and other technology companies.
- Joined with the U.S. State Department, USAID, and other companies in PREPARE Call to Action to the Private Sector on Adaptation.
- Announced a new partnership with Stripe, Alphabet, Shopify and McKinsey Sustainability to launch Frontier, an advanced market commitment to help scale emerging carbon removal technologies that are crucial to tackling climate change.
- Embraced an Emissions First accounting framework that moves beyond the current approach of megawatt-hour matching and focuses on emissions impact.
The success of our sustainability program depends on having our Metamate voices at the table. Some of the ways we engage our employees include:
- SustainabiliTEA Talks Our live Q&A series connects our sustainability leaders with executives from across the company to discuss their personal passions, program work and ways for employees to get involved.
- Annual Earth Week, Climate Week and Sustainability Summit events These live global events and interactive forums focus on sustainability action and education.
- Climate Reality Project Leadership Corps In partnership with Al Gore’s training organization, Climate Reality Project, our employees have the opportunity to learn and build community around climate education and action.
- Green@ Chapters These internal employee groups are focused on building sustainability culture by encouraging sustainable choices and behaviors for all Metamates on and off our campuses.
- Climate-Focused Hackathons Metamates are invited to apply their technical expertise to sustainability product ideas for rapid iteration and fast feedback.
2021 Sustainability Report
We envision a just and equitable transition to a zero-carbon economy and are working to scale inclusive solutions that help create a healthier planet for all.